Tuesday 2 August 2016

ethics - Dismissed from PhD due to disability-related misconduct: how to answer question about dismissal?


I committed plagiarism at the end of my PhD. My psychiatrist found that the plagiarism is related to a psychiatric disorder (mental health problem). I have published many papers in top journals and this behavior was clearly out of character.


I was asked to voluntarily withdraw from my PhD program. However, I have a psychiatric explanation, and I have a psychiatrist who can vouch that my mental health issues have been resolved and there should be no further incidents in the future.


After taking time off to get treated and to recover, now I am considering applying to PhD programs again.


However, I am facing a question from most universities that I am applying to. Is there any hope for a student who committed misconduct that is related to a disability?


I am nervous about this application. Can anyone help me figure out how to deal with this issue in a proper way?





No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...