Monday 15 August 2016

advisor - What a PhD student should do when their supervisor orders them to have a name on their paper just because of grant purposes?



We are preparing a new paper and my supervisor tells me that we have to put the name of a person on our paper because he was involved in getting us the grant. He says it is because of future grants and that we want to show that he was involved in the research -- and obviously he was not. I think we are supposed to work with him on the last year of my PhD, but not now. My supervisor already knows that I am against it and tells me that this is an “order” and it is because of some sort of “politics”. I can reject but I am not sure what are the consequences. What a PhD student should do in such a situation?



Answer




This is a very common situation in Korea. It's because of the grants and the relationship that is good for future grants.


To me, it's a personal choice. If you want to continue your work and live in your current institution, you have to do that. Otherwise, let's go.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...