Saturday 20 August 2016

entomology - What type of insect is this?


I'm naturally thinking this is a bee, but I cannot find it anywhere in any insect identifiers. I caught this picture on top of my doorway, it's about 1 1/2 inches in length, and its torso seems to be coated in a layer of hair, and the rest of its body is narrow. The thick layer of hair may or may not be accurate, I didn't want to get too close to it, but that's how it appeared at least.


Unidentified Insect enter image description here enter image description here


What is this?


PS - Found in Kentucky, and I'm not sure why one pic shows wings and the other one doesn't...



Answer




From the general body plan, it looks like it's probably a robber fly. Here's a page of specifically Kentucky robber flies – it's possible yours could be a Bearded Robber Fly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...