Monday 7 November 2016

university - Typical experiences of transgender people in academia?


I've recently come to accept that I'm transgender (MtF, male-to-female). I won't go into the exact details of this as it's personal, but I have a "girl mode" where I identify as a female. I'm also a researcher/lecturer at a respectable university. I'm yet to reveal this side of myself at work, but it's not impossible that my colleagues or students will run into me in girl mode e.g. at the mall.




Question: What are typical experiences of openly transgender academics?



I'd be particularly interesting in examples of successful academics who are openly transgender.


I know there are both legal protections and university policies which prohibit discrimination based on being transgender, but no policy can make people like you.


(Update: As things developed, I gave an answer to my question below.)



Answer



Jennifer Finney Boylan, Professor of English and Department Chair, Colby College, Maine. Jenny wrote "She's Not There" and other great books. My heroine (happily married to a woman)


Dr. Lynn Conway. Lynn invented both VLSI and superscalar architectures. Professor Emeritus, University of Michigan. My heroine (happily married to a man)


Dr. Deirdre McCluskey, University of Chicago, Professor of Economics. Very famous economist from Milton Friedman's old school.


Want more?? You are in the SAFEST profession to DO the transition!! Read Jenny books and Lynn's website and you'll learn how to do it, step by step.



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...