Thursday 10 November 2016

publications - Does unpublished paper matter for U.S. graduate school application?


How different are papers that are "in draft", "in review", and "pending publication" for graduate school application?


I have a research paper that's already drafted, but my PI is aiming for a high-profile journal, so he wants me to address all foreseeable questions about the method I'm about to propose, which means I need to do some supplementary experiments. But this way my paper can't be submitted at the time of my application, and I will have no objective proof about the significance of the work.


Or alternatively, I could submit my draft and wait for the reviewer's opinion, so I can put mark the paper as "in review". This will serve as a proof that my work is mature enough to be seen by others. But is it worth it?


By the way, I'm an senior undergraduate, and I got another paper in draft, but definitely won't be submitted before January. And both drafts are at the stage where they're fit to be reviewed by the admission committee. Besides my supervisors for both projects are listed as my recommenders, and should be able to vouch for me if contacted.



Thank you!



Answer



The value is going to be hard to quantify, as it will likely depend on you, the people reading the application, your field, etc. It will range in the eye of the reader somewhere between "0" and "Less Than a Published Paper".


Things a Paper "In Prep" Does Do:



  • It shows you're thinking about research enough to want to write a paper about it, and have engaged in actually doing so. How big of a deal this is alone likely depends on your field, institution, etc.

  • If you give an interview, it gives people a targeted thing to talk about. I've been asked questions about a manuscript 'in submission' before, because the interviewer thought it sounded interesting. These kind of directed questions, in something you're hopefully very comfortable talking about, are probably more useful than "So...tell me about yourself."


Things It Doesn't Do:




  • Critically, it doesn't actually show that you can write a paper. It shows that you can write something you've decided to call a paper, but the key act of academia, getting it published hasn't happened yet. Depending on how well your advisor is known by the admissions people, you might get some credit for "Dr. Superbigdeal wouldn't let anything come out of her lab unless it was solid gold..." but I wouldn't count on it.



Or alternatively, I could submit my draft and wait for the reviewer's opinion, so I can put mark the paper as "in review". This will serve as a proof that my work is mature enough to be seen by others. But is it worth it?



I'm not sure this will meaningfully change the value of a paper. Getting it published? Major shift in its value. Shifting from in prep to in review...distinctly less so. Because again, it's lacking that last critical piece of being actually accepted. The difference between the two can be as trivial as a few buttons on a website, and personally, I would treat the difference as such.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...