Friday 25 November 2016

publications - When should I write a thank you letter to the author of a scholarly paper?


If I read a scholarly paper and find it interesting and beneficial, should I write a short thank you letter to the author? Should I send the thank you letter from a .edu email address?



Answer



It certainly wouldn't hurt, and as a published author myself, I would say it would be very nice feedback, particularly if you include details about:





  • specifically any particular points/methods you found useful.




  • A brief outline of how you are extending the work.




  • Perhaps any question you have about the article.





This could be a good way to make yourself known in Academia, especially if the author is an influential scholar in your field. However, a caveat, don't overdo it - in terms of being 'over the top' complementary or too many 'rapid fire' letters/emails.


But, it would more than likely be appreciated as it would be a validation of the author's work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...