Wednesday 30 November 2016

How to prevent students from having an unfair advantage on exams, when they are held on different days?


I teach a writing course to different sections, across different days of the week. From the schedule, some students will take their mid-term exam early in the week, while others will take it later in the week. Recently, I found one student who was “just checking to see what the exam was like”, but was planning to go to another session to actually take the test. I realized there might be a variety of ways that students taking the exams on Friday would have an advantage over those taking it on a Monday.


I've taken the following steps in an attempt to address this problem:



  • I build multiple tests, e.g. "A", "B", "C", etc., which are of similar difficulty, have the same types of problems, but different subjects. "A" is given to one section, "B" to another, etc.


  • Provided a sample test that students can print and practice with and discuss with me in class.


Note that, there are several challenges to administering this:



  • The classes are large, and the school offers me no assistance in managing the exams.

  • Many students regularly attend my lectures during sections that they did not register for, so I will not easily recognize who belongs in which time.


Are there any additional steps I should consider to make sure the test is administered fairly?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...