Sunday 10 February 2019

species identification - Horned Mohawk looking insect. What is it?


Any ideas? I didn't know any other way to explain it.


I live in Indiana, USA if that helps.


Someone said it might be a "stink bug" but I'm not sure and not willing to find out!


enter image description here



Answer




Its definitely a True bug (Hemiptera), and based on its distinct pronotum and small head I'm guessing its a Wheel bug (Arilus cristatus). It is a common species that is also found in Indiana.


They are aggresive predators and are part of the family Reduviidae also known as Assassin bugs. Assassin bugs have a painful bite, and they inject a toxin when they stab their victim (so humans should watch out). This is not a part of the world I know well though, and there might be similar closely related species that I've missed.


Links:



Some pictures:


enter image description here


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...