Tuesday 5 February 2019

Recommendation of Ecology books


What are some of the standard books to study :



  • Biological Interactions: Symbiosis, Mutualism...etc

  • Concept of Limiting factors

  • Niche concept


  • Resource partitioning

  • Concepts of community change

  • Theories of climax

  • Models of Succession


P.S. I am looking for a book for beginners for studying ecology at UG level.



Answer



A classic standard textbook that I've used a lot myself (earlier editions) is Begon, Harper & Townsend. This book is very broad and comprehensive, but I know that some students dislike it's back-and-forth discussion style (fewer definite answers). I see this as a strength though.


Another good choice, that is much shorter, is Gotelli's A Primer of Ecology. This one has a slight theoretical leaning (many standard mathematical models), but can work well in a introductory course. I don't have the book in front of me, but, looking at your list of topics, I suspect that A Primer... might be weak in some of them (e.g. climax, succession).


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...