Tuesday 26 February 2019

career path - Will taking a post-doc position harm my future chances in industry?


I am 29 years old and am about to finish my PhD thesis in the field of remote sensing (i.e. somewhere between computer sciences and geosciences in a broad sense or applied signal and image processing in a more narrow sense) at a university in central Europe.


Due to the fact that there are only few tenure positions available in science and I would rather stay in my (economically strong) home region, I want to find a position in industry in the long term. However, I have received an interesting offer for a post-doc / scientist position in a new-to-be-founded research group with great funding and cutting edge research in the applied signal processing field.


My question now is: Will some additional years in academia harm my chances concerning a job in industry?


Some additional points to consider:





  • in the post-doc position, I would be the deputy of the group leader (who is soon to receive a full professor/tenure position)




  • I'd be responsible for staff management and some budget issues (about 20% of time)




  • I'd have the chance to travel to international conferences





  • the application the signal processing research is carried out for is not directly industry-relevant




  • I have received an invitation to an interview for an R&D job at an automotive company, but it is scheduled only in 3 weeks, while I have to decide for the post-doc offer sooner rather than later






No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...