Sunday 3 February 2019

graduate admissions - Should I challenge the GRE requirement for a doctoral program in education (in the U.S.)?


I'm just starting to investigate doctoral programs in education in the United States, and I'm considering how to handle the GRE requirement:



  1. Hardline Activism: submit my incomplete application with a well-researched essay justifying my refusal to take the GRE.

  2. Soft Activism: submit my complete application including my first-try GRE scores along with a well-researched essay debunking the significance of my GRE scores related to my value as a candidate in the Ed.D. program, AND flatly stating that I spent no more than four hours (the length of the exam. i.e. No test prep.) on the GRE, in light of my scientific conclusions about it's relevance in this situation.

  3. Passive Acceptance: submit my complete application with my first-try GRE score and hope for acceptance.

  4. Active Acceptance: Study hard and take the GRE, then study some more and take it again. Submit my complete application and hope for acceptance.


Are there other options that I'm overlooking?


My position is not "the GRE has no value." My position is "I'm an excellent candidate for this doctoral program, as evidenced by my application. GRE scores would not alter that conclusion."



I found this discussion very useful, especially the answer and citations by Jeromy Anglim.


As an aside, I admit that I enjoy testing boundaries just for fun, but this issue is more than that. As a proponent of thoughtful, responsible education reform, I'm leaning toward options 1 and 2.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...