Saturday 4 March 2017

publications - I want to submit a paper to arXiv.org, but I'm not affiliated to an Institute. What can I do?


I have a paper which I'm interested in submitting to arXiv.org.



However, the submission guidelines say an institutional affiliation is required for submission. I've graduated in physics from Unicamp in Brazil, but I didn't follow a scientific career. My current employer doesn't relate to physics.


What do you suggest that I do? Is there a way to submit my paper? Or is there an alternative to arXiv.org?



Answer



If you have no luck, you can always fall back on http://vixra.org/ [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ViXra ]


Many papers there look distinctly dubious at the very least, or trivial, as one would expect from an unmoderated repository. But I'm sure some are sound and worthwhile.


Although perhaps not ideal, one advantage is that at least you'll have evidence of when your paper was submitted, in the event of priority disputes. Also, it is handy to give a standard(ish) URL for references.


The guy who founded ViXra and runs it, Phil Gibbs, is a physics graduate himself, and as clever as a tree full of owls. But there's no getting away from the fact that in academia ViXra is generally treated with a fair degree of contempt.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...