Wednesday 8 March 2017

outward appearance - If transitioning into academic position, should I buy my PhD graduation cap and gown?


My graduation ceremony is coming up in a few months, and I have the option of buying or renting a graduation cap and gown.


I will be starting an assistant professor job this year, so I suspect (but am not sure) that I will need to wear the dress at graduation ceremonies at my new institution.


If I were to buy the graduation dress, would I ever need to wear it again?


Location: My new job will be in an Asian university.


What I did I asked a colleague at the institution where I will be working, and he told me that indeed, I could rent a gown for free if I were to attend a graduation ceremony.



Answer



Different institutions have different policies on robes for faculty members at graduations, although most will arrange for robes for faculty who do not have their own. However, if you take advantage of this option, you might not get much choice in your regalia - so if the institution that you are graduating from has its own particular design for regalia that you love, it might be worth getting your own. I have heard that there are institutions who will require that all faculty members wear the same design of regalia for graduation ceremonies, in which case spending a lot of money on a non-traditional set - which you then cannot wear at commencements - would be less than optimal.


Since you have an assistant professor job lined up, you could just ask someone at your new institution what the policies are there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...