Sunday 31 January 2016

writing style - How to thank a teacher in a thesis?


Given that a student wants to thank you her teacher for her assistance to her project thesis, is it polite if she writes any of this at the end of her thesis:



  1. Thanks to your assistance, my project was done under your supervision.

  2. You have been my project's tutor. Now it is done successfully, thank you.




Answer



Well, what I wrote was partly humor, partly serious:



"I would like to thank: Prof. [my adviser] for his advice and support throughout the thesis work, Prof. [] for his patience as I mis-implemented his design, [] for his assistance in selecting components, the [lab and department] for computer time, [], whose Masters thesis provided the format I have adopted, the manufacturers of [caffeinated beverages] for their stimulating ideas, E. Gary Gygax for giving me something to kill, and the States of Alaska and Confusion."



I think you're overthinking this. Any polite statement crediting those who have made a significant contribution to the project will be fine.


Suggestion: see if your school maintains copies of past theses in their library, read through a few to see what other people have done, and adopt what seems useful from those.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...