Sunday 24 January 2016

graduate admissions - Where can I find academic CV samples containing minor research projects for PhD applications without publications?



Context:




  • Prof messaged me, interested in my CV




  • During my master's in mathematical finance, I may have had one "publication" if a quasi-thesis, that wasn't exactly a thesis, counts.




  • While applying to (more) grad school (pure not applied), I'm currently working in the tutoring industry (I'm not teaching in a university) as I have been since grad school (tutoring industry is very serious in country A compared to country B), and my industry CVs/resumes consist mainly of tutoring jobs (I've never had a finance internship, but I did have a sort of statistics/economics research internship).





I do not believe I have formal pure math research experience, but I have a lot of applied math research experience in our "thesis" (or technical report as Nate Eldredge might suggest) and class projects.


I have so far not found academic CVs for PhD applications that include minor research projects in master's (I don't know the terms. They are "research" projects but are not published or as long as theses. They're simply class requirements that are not exams or "homework"/"problem sets") so please provide references.


Examples:




  1. UTexas - Ella Fitzsimmons



    • GOOD: has master's, no PhD


    • BAD: thesis only. no minor research projects in master's here.




  2. UCSF - Rembrandt Van Rijn



    • GOOD: mentions minor research projects pre-PhD

    • BAD: has PhD and so mentions minor research projects pre-PhD without further elaboration





  3. Academics - Anna Mustermann



    • GOOD: has master's no PhD

    • BAD: For master's: thesis only. no minor research projects in master's here. has publications




  4. Surrey - ROBERT BROADSTONE




    • BAD: No master's. Has PhD. Has publications




  5. Harvard - Anjan Lo Subramayan, Keisha Thomas



    • BAD: Has PhD/Is PhD candidate, No master's, Has publications






Answer



There is no need to follow a standard or template unless the specific job you apply for explicitly states that you should do so (which is rarely the case).


I am a biophysicist, not a mathematician, but from what I have seen you can put on your CV whatever you want, especially in academia: it is your CV. You should definitely include your minor research projects. You can have a look at templates for some inspiration but it is up to you how you organise your CV and which sections you include or not.


Publications usually only count if they are published in international peer-reviewed journals or books. You can possibly stretch this definition a little by including conference proceedings, abstracts, application notes, and so on, but it may be viewed as strange if you call these a "publication" (mathematicians, please correct me if this is different for you). In any case, this is the topic of your other question and is better discussed there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...