Wednesday 20 January 2016

citations - How to cite a rebuilt graphic


I'm going to have my first presentation in some weeks. Therefore I read some papers and now I'm building the presentation with LaTeX.


In the papers, I found some very useful graphics. But for quality reasons I don't like to take Screenshots of the PDF's. So I rebuild the graphics to have them as vector graphics.


Can I cite them just like I took a screenshot, or is there a difference?



Answer



There are two parts to this question: citation and copyright issues.





  • Regarding citation: cite the source of the data/graphics/charts/schemes.




  • For the copyright part, if the presentation of the data is really identical, most journals liberally give permission for reĆ¼se (you have to ask for it), but require an acknowledgement of the form “Reprinted with permission from …”. That should cover modifications in format (bitmap to vectorial, or bitmap downsampling, etc.), but I have already seen people actually note the difference by using “Redrawn with permission from …”. Now, if the figure is based on the first one, but with substantial modifications, you can be happy with only citing the source, or possibly adding “Figure based on X with permission from …”.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...