Sunday 10 January 2016

CV for leaving academia after PhD


I am soon finishing my PhD in computer science and I decided to leave academia for the industry (not industry research).


I am not clear about what to include in the CV. I currently structured it like this:




  • Education

  • Work experience (including teaching positions and internships)

  • Selected Honors, Awards & Fellowships

  • Programming Skills

  • Selected journal publications

  • Selected Workshops, Schools & Conference Talks


which in its current version results in a two page CV.


I am neither sure about the ordering of the above items as well as the importance of each.



For example while I have ten publications I only mention two of them in the CV. On the other hand I mention about eleven Workshops, Schools & Conference Talks. I think this is not the right balance. On the other hand I am not sure how much companies (like Facebook, LinkedIn, ...) care about theoretical publications. I also do not mention any research visits I did.


So my question is, what academic information do you include in a CV for non academic positions and how important is each of the items?



Answer



The current structure of your CV looks like an academic CV to me. You put too much emphasis on the academic credentials. You definitely need to rewrite it.


What the industry (not industry research) companies are looking for are your skills and experience. They are not interested in how many publications you have or how many conference talks you gave. They are interested in how much you know about solving problems so that you can help them to make money.


I would suggest you to emphasize your programming skills, the contents of your publications (what kind of problems you solved in those papers), the internships, etc.


Don't under-estimate your teaching experience. Emphasize it. Many hiring managers had told me that they like the teaching experience on my resume. I asked them why. They said I must know how to communicate because I can teach. Knowing how to communicate to others is an essential skill in industry.


Good Luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...