Tuesday 16 May 2017

Where can I find the common names for the zoology taxonomy?


Forgive me if my question does not belong here or if I'm using incorrect terms, but I'm not educated in biology at all. I'm investigating the workings of the biological classification system.


I was wondering if there is a list somewhere of all kingdoms, orders, classes, etc., both in Latin and common names?



Answer



The Tree of Life project has a browse-able tree of all major taxa, but not necessarily all species. You can start at the root of the tree here. Tree of life uses modern phylogenetic nomenclature rather than more traditional Kingdom-Phylum-Class-etc.



Part of the problem that you will run into is that common names differ across regions/countries/languages. This is the point of species binomials. They are language-invariant.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...