Sunday 7 May 2017

job search - Should I cancel an interview if I already have a preferable offer?


I've been on the US tenure-track job market. I finally got an offer (let's call it A) that I am happy with.


However, I have another interview scheduled (let's call it B). I think it is unlikely that I would prefer B over A. They are comparable in terms of academic strength, but there are strong non-academic reasons to prefer A.


I'm wondering if I should cancel my interview at B. On one hand, I feel like I should go ahead with the planned interview and it would be rude to cancel. On the other hand, it's potentially a waste of time (also rude) given that I am unlikely to take up a potential offer from them.


Of course, it's theoretically possible for me to pick B over A. For example, if the details of the offer from A aren't good (still waiting for those) and B really impresses me. But it seems unlikely given what I know.


What is the best course of action? If I do decide to cancel, how do I go about cancelling? What reason do I give?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...