Monday 8 May 2017

phd - Whom to discuss research papers with?


When I read research papers I often come across many things that I'm unclear about and would like to talk over with someone. My advisor is not available to do this with me as she does not have time. I'm not sure with whom should I discuss these research papers with, in order to help me understand the papers better. I am the only student who is currently being advised by my advisor. How should I go about finding people to talk through these things with, so I can better understand the research papers I'm reading?



Answer



Your advisor is not the only person to go to, to get answers to the questions that research papers are raising for you. Talk to other researchers, in your department, or online with peers at other universities.


But it does sound like you are getting insufficient advisory support. Do you really just have the one advisor? Time to build up your supervisory team.


Talk to your advisor about what's expected of you, and what's expected of them. It sounds like you've got a mismatch between your need and their resource, and it's important to get that fixed as soon as possible.



You'll also find a lot of good, relevant advice on these questions: skimming a paper and running a reading group.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...