Monday 29 May 2017

Should I start my CV by telling about myself?


Currently, in my CV, the first section is the About me section. It goes like this (I'll reserve the format of the text):



Broad knowledge, is why my friends are proud of me.
Never stops asking questions, is what my advisor values in me.



I wonder if writing like this gives makes me look bad. Will the recruiters see me as a confident person, get a better picture of me (which is the impression I want to convey), or will they see me as just arrogant, lacking self-esteem and paranoid?



Next sections are Education, Research Experience and Activities. They are about one page and a half long.


What do you think? Please be frank. Thank you so much.




Thanks to the many people who answered my question, I get that I should save it for the SOP. However, there are some occasions where I'm only asked to send my CV and not a cover letter with it. Should I still keep the "About me" section as a mini SOP in such cases? If it sounds like "platitudes, clichés, and self-compliments" (thanks for being frank, I do need it), how about this idea I just came up with?



I chose science because I want to know everything. I chose physics because I think it is the buttress of other disciplines.



I can make it better later.



Answer



1) This is nonstandard, so people are likely to view you as odd, or at the very least unfamiliar with academic norms.



2) On a CV, you should prioritize specific, tangible achievements over things that literally anyone could say about themselves. You say you have broad knowledge, but will anyone believe you? It doesn't do anything to differentiate you from people who could also claim to have broad knowledge. Save that for your letters of reference.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...