Friday 19 May 2017

cv - Do presentations given during interviews count as invited talks?


I am in the process of interviewing for faculty positions and trying to keep my CV up to date as I go. Should I include research (or teaching) presentations given during on-campus interviews as invited talks? Or are they considered just a part of the interview process and better left off the CV?



Answer



I disagree with Dave. An invited talk is, by definition, a talk that you've been invited to give. Yes, interviews count. (More-or-less inviting yourself is not necessarily different than a non-interview invited talk.)


I agree that you shouldn't reveal which of your invited talks are actually interviews, but that's only an issue if all your invited talks happen in the last semester before you submit your thesis. (And maybe you should wait until after interview season is over to add them. The people who are interviewing you are desperately curious about where else you're interviewing.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...