Thursday 4 May 2017

zoology - Color of the Fur coat of Polar bears


Recently I was playing a quiz and a question was asked about the color of the fur coat of a polar bear. To my surprise the answer was black. I thought it was yellowish white or creamy. Why so ?



Answer




The fur coats of polar bears are in fact clear tubes - not white fur as is often believed. It is their skin that is black, to absorb the most warmth from the sun (and the clear tubes allow the majority of the light to pass through to the skin).


I recently watched the BBC's Frozen Planet TV series (with David Attenborough), where I heard the above answer. If you haven't already, I recommend watching it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...