Friday 23 September 2016

masters - How many hours a day on Mathematics as a successful student?


My motivation to ask this question actually comes from here, receiving negative reactions for 12 hours a day or even 7 hours spending time on Mathematics.


A person usually spends 4.5 years to accomplish a BSc plus a MSc coursework. Books that I found to study in pages (BSc+MSc) approx. are:




  • Calculus (760)

  • Algebra (450+940)

  • Topology (510+540)

  • Analytical Geo (210)

  • Real Analysis (610+520)

  • ODE (440)

  • Complex Analysis (480+350)

  • Differential Geo (510+420)

  • Logic (260)

  • Number Theory (480)


  • PDE (320)

  • Total: 7800 pages.


Supposing spending 30 min per page of studying and 2 hours per page of exercises, so it takes (4/5)×7800×0.5+(1/5)×7800×2 = 6240 hours = 5.5 hours a day in 4.5 years (excl. Sat+Sun) for a student.


The problem is:


1- I think that a Mathematics student has to learn more than I have listed, for example other subjects in Mathematics.


2- a Mathematics student has to spend on other than studying texts, like attending classes, other courses (e.g. computer) as well.


How a typical university student in Mathematics spends a few hours in average on studying and knows a lot Mathematics and is able to start research, which I am not capable of? It's a paradox, or maybe I am not smart as other?


Thank you.


PS I am not officially a uni student yet, but I had to spend 12 h/d on average to study the mentioned books which I am pretty sure are less than what a uni student covers in their studies.





No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...