Thursday 29 September 2016

evolution - Book recommendations for evolutionary models


I was recently working on getting a statistical model of a DNA sequence. To do this I found that understanding evolution quantitatively seems to be quite important. I would really appreciate any book recommendations on the basics of evolution.


I come from an Electrical Engineering background and have a limited knowledge of evolution and biology.



Answer



You either want a introductory book in evolutionary biology or a book that offers mathematical models of evolutionary processes.


In my first class of evolutionary biology I had this textbook: Futuyama, Evolution I think it gives a good start to the field and offers a good overview of the difference subfields.



If you think you already know enough about the concepts selection, genetic drift, molecular evolution, etc… and you want a book that provides mathematical formulations of evolution, then you might want to have a look into the field of population genetics. On this post you'll find some book-recommendations


If you are particularly interested into molecular evolution, I'd suggest: Yang, Computational molecular evolution


Maybe you are particularly interested into the statistical methodology used in DNA annotation or in phylogeny. Then…. I don't know! It's not quite my field!


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...