Sunday 31 July 2016

Style of inline citations (numeric)



In the paper that I am writing using LaTeX, I have several sentences like:


However, in \cite{aa2014} only a small uncertainty has been introduced ...

Or,


According to \cite{ab2014}, ...

Because I am forced to using numerical references, the result is respectively:



However, in⁴ only a small uncertainty has been introduced ...


According to⁸, ...




I don't like this style of citations so I am looking for improvements. I have been able to rewrite some of the sentences so that I can put the citation at the end of the sentence, but this does not always seems to be a good idea. Are there better options?



Answer



I agree that sentences like



According to⁸



are horrible to read, although I recall seeing them a couple of times. A possible solution is to add author names:



According to Alice and Bob⁸



However, in Alice et al.⁴ only a small uncertainty has been introduced ...



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...