Tuesday 12 July 2016

neuroscience - Saltatory conduction of nerve impulses


I am aware about some basics of saltatory conduction of nerve impulses. I know that the nerve impulses (ion flow and the depolarization) are transferred from node to node in myelinated nerve fibers. In non-myelinated fibers, the ion flow and depolarization are repeated along the entire length of the axon. Thus the saltatory conduction is faster.




Why is it so that myelinated nerve fibers require less energy of activation then the non-myelinated ones?


Also, my book says that a rise in temperature accelerates the conduction of nerve impulses. I would like to know the reason for this.





No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...