Monday 25 July 2016

industry - Why is getting a PhD considered "financially irresponsible" by some people?



I've been reading this question, whose premise is that going directly into industry after (presumably) just a bachelor's will make you more money than doing a PhD and then going into industry. To my surprise, most people seemed to agree with the OP.


My thinking has always been that, yes, going into industry with just a bachelor's will make you some money in the short term, but it will also:


A) Land you in a relatively low level position to start.


B) You will eventually hit a ceiling past which you cannot rise.


My thinking has always been that with a PhD you will start in a relatively higher position, and you will not hit a ceiling, so in the long run you will make more money. Why is my reasoning wrong?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...