Friday 8 July 2016

graduate admissions - Can I mention professors' names in the statement of purpose?


For PhD applications, I have mentioned that I am interested in some research areas. Besides, I am thinking about mentioning some professors' names, so that it shows I have read their websites and I am not just sending out generic statements applicable to many schools.


But is it good to mention some professors' names in the statement of purpose, if I don't know them personally? In what cases is it good, and in what cases it isn't?


For example, is it good to only mention



  • those whose research directions are aligned with my research interests, or/and

  • those whose books or notes I have heard of, or better, might have read some parts of, or/and

  • those who are already established and famous (such as having certain titles), or/and

  • those that are directing the PhD graduate programs, or/and

  • those that are heads of the departments?



What will other professors who are not mentioned think? How will you do, if it were you?




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...