Thursday 21 July 2016

Is there something I need to do on arxiv if I lose academic affiliation


When publishing on arxiv, users with recognized academic affiliations may be exempt from the endorsement process, as mentioned in arXiv primer.


Suppose that I have already published preprints on arxiv. Later, for some reason, I lose my academic affiliation. (For example, I might be between the jobs, I might leave academia.)



  • Do I need to inform arxiv that I no longer have an academic affiliation and should I be endorsed again before publising another preprint on arxiv?

  • If I change to other university/academic institution, is there something I should do on arxiv other than updating my user information?



Answer



According to http://arxiv.org/help/endorsement :




Existing submitters will not require endorsement to submit papers on topics that they've been active in.



Once you've submitted successfully, you're in for life. If you change fields (e.g. from physics to biology or something) you might have to be endorsed.


As I understand it, the endorsement system is mainly to keep cranks from uploading crankery. Leaving academia or changing affiliations won't turn a serious researcher into a crank, so I can't see any reason why arXiv would want to revoke your endorsement.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...