Tuesday 12 April 2016

phd - Include Disability in Statement of Purpose



Should my disability be included in my Statement of Purpose?


Background:


I've recently received my masters degree in mathematics and I'm looking to transfer for my PhD.


I had an undiagnosed neurological disorder for most of my undergraduate career. It wasn't managed until partially into graduate school. It would manifest itself through frequent migraines and even occasional blindness. Consequentially, I would have semesters with low attendance and there would even be the occasional test that I wouldn't attend or that I would attend but be effectively useless.


When it was diagnosed I had it documented with the school's disability services, but I never requested accommodation.


My advisers think I have a shot at some decent schools without knowing about this.



Thoughts:


I don't want to be treated differently at a new school. Especially since it's well managed now and I don't need any accommodations. I also don't want my current advisers to think of me differently. However, it also seems absurd to avoid talking about something that has had such a strong impact on my academic career.


I've seen this question: Graduate school and students with learning disabilities . I didn't feel like it applied to me because I am not requesting accommodations and my disorder is no longer as serious of a problem to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...