Friday 15 April 2016

How can I make an informed decision on whether to do a PhD in engineering or not?


About me:


About to start final year ChemE


Top of class/grades


Have completed 6 month co-ops in pharma and biopharma


Liked the work but think that I would much prefer development or research type work


I need to make a decision over the next month to either: Take a graduate program/job in pharma or biopharma Do a PhD (I have been talking to my professor who has agreed to take me on or else give me a reference for another college)


Take the graduate program and do a PhD simultaneously (difficult option but I know people who have done this)



I am really attracted to the idea of doing a PhD in a biopharma/biotech related space. I do not know if I am interested in academia afterwards or if I would prefer to work in industry. That said, I do not know much about the roles available to PhDs in industry.


I have heard that a PhD can give you more 'work freedom' and also a higher chance of working in cutting edge areas. Also the idea of working in a startup or starting my own company at some point is something I am interested in.


My problem is that I do not have the tools to decide what is the right decision for me. I would apprecaite any input or experience anyone has with this, or alternatively any advice on how I can make the right decision.


Thanks in advance. If I am missing key information here, apologies. I will add it in if it comes up in a comment.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...