Monday 25 April 2016

neuroscience - If the brain has no pain receptors, how come you can get a headache?


I've read many years ago in books, that the brain has no nerves on it, and if someone was touching your brain, you couldn't feel a thing.


Just two days before now, I had a very bad migraine, due to a cold. It's become better now, but when I had it I felt my head was going to literally split in half, as the pain was literally coming from my brain.


So it lead me to the question: How come people can get headaches if the brain has no nerves?



Answer



Brain, indeed, cannot feel pain, as it lacks pain receptors (nociceptors). However, what you feel when you have a headache is not your brain hurting -- there are plenty of other areas in your head and neck that do have nociceptors which can perceive pain, and they literally cause the headaches.


In especially, many types of headaches are generally thought to have a neurovascular background, and the responsible pain receptors are associated with blood vessels. However, the pathophysiology of migraines and headaches is still poorly understood.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...