Thursday 29 October 2015

species identification - Help in identifying an unknown arthropod


I'm not even sure it's an insect: the best I can do is identify it as an arthropod. I captured this slow-moving organism and after a period of observation under high magnification, I concluded that it appears to construct a "shell" from miscellaneous particles or debris. With a scalpel, I carefully cut this outer casing open to observe the organism, and the pictures show what I found. It seems to have six legs, like an insect, but is oddly worm-like and wingless. Total length is approximately 1 cm. I do not believe that this is a juvenile/larval/instar form. I've seen several of these where I live, and they always look like this (with maybe a +/- 20% size variation).




Edit: This specimen was found in San Diego County, California, United States.


enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here




Answer



It is the larva of household casebearer moth (a Lepidoptera), named after the larval stage. It is scientifically called Phereoeca uterella.


It is found through out South and North America.


enter image description here


enter image description here



The larva constructs a protective case from silk and camouflages it with other materials such as soil, sand and insect droppings.



References:






Further reading: Household Casebearer, Phereoeca uterella by Juan A. Villanueva-Jimenez and Thomas R. Fasulo


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...