Monday 26 October 2015

publications - How accurate are published papers?


I'm an undergrad trying to publish findings on the accuracy of consumer-grade motion sensors for IEEE. I've searched for existing literature on this topic, and I've found some interesting articles. However, I'm not sure how accurate these papers are.


Once IEEE publishes a paper in a journal or conference, has IEEE deemed the paper's findings as accurate?


That is, has a paper passed science's often-vaunted "peer-review" once that paper has been published?



I realize this question applies for my research and any other research published by a respected organization like IEEE or Nature.



Answer



No. The publisher does not and cannot guarantee the correctness of the papers. Also the peer-review system is not perfect.


That being said, even though a single paper might have some chance of being wrong, as studies are replicated, and follow up studies verify and extend the conclusions, the scientific community can build up stronger claims.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...