Wednesday 14 October 2015

phd - Emailing professor: Is my profile good enough for this position?


I am applying for PhD positions nowadays. Recently, few PhDs are announced (in CoQus, Austria) and I am very interested in these positions. But it looks like these positions require very high profile candidates. They have asked about publications (if applicable) in nearly each paragraph of advertisement. It is also written that a candidate can only apply once for PhD in that institute in whole life.


I have written a paper during my M.Sc. but its status is "submitted". So, technically I don't have any publication yet.


I don't want to lose my chance by applying without publication. So, my question is:


Is it a good idea to email professor of my interest asking about if my profile is good enough to have any chance to get this PhD?



Answer



The conditions invite potential candidates to self-assess their profiles. The reason is probably that the University receives a lot of applications per post and HRs want to save a bit of time during the shortlisting stage by ensuring that candidates apply only when they are ready. In all fairness, it seems that you want your potential supervisor to do a bit of this work for you. I am not sure it is a good idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...