Thursday 5 December 2019

publications - If I publish under a pseudonym, can I still take credit for my work?




  1. Is it possible to publish under a nom de plume (pen name, pseudonym)?

  2. ... and still take credit for the work?


I may have a chance to publish with the professor I am working with soon and if I am on the list of authors I would like to use a nom de plume, but I would also like to use the publication to apply to graduate schools next time. Is it possible to have my cake and eat it in the case?


EDIT: Sorry for missing this out; The reason for wanting to publish under a nom de plume is that I would merely want my career to be tracked under a different name. Not to hide identity; I am perfectly fine with what EnergyNumbers was suggesting.



Answer



Taking it that your asking about a nom de plume (aka "pen name") for reasons of conspicuousness, rather than for reasons of anonymity:


Yes, it is possible to publish under something other than your legal name. A nom de plume isn't that unusual in academia, particular for folk with common names who would otherwise be unfindable in literature databases.


You need to make sure that your legal identity is sufficiently tied to your nom de plume, so that there's not going to be any arguing about it.


Some people adopt double-barrelled surnames for their noms de plume: others add a distinctive first or second initial. As long as its sufficiently close to your real name, that should be sufficient.



Note that this will entail your nom de plume effectively becoming your name for academic purposes: it's what will be on your email correspondence, your web page, your conference name-badges, and so on. You'll just have to do a bit of tweaking with university administration so that payroll, legal, and travel arrangements are all in your real name, not your pen name.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...