Thursday 12 December 2019

journals - In Computer Science, does a presentation of findings at a conference constitute a "publication"?


Most of the research I have done so far is in Computational Chemistry, where the major emphasis is on publishing in journals. But I also research aspects of Computer Science,and I have read here that in Computer Science the standard for publishing is different. I have recently created a data structure, and will be presenting my findings at a regional Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) conference later this year. Is this considered a publication in Computer Science? While I do not mind presenting my findings--I've done similarly with posters in my Chemistry research--I would prefer to have my research published in a printed journal. Does the conference lead to a journal publication?



Answer



There are two types of publications in Computer Science:




  1. Publications in peer-reviewed conferences with published proceedings

  2. Publications in journals


If you present your results at a conference or workshop but don't publish them in the conference proceedings — it's not a publication.


In general, publications in top tier conferences are much more important than journal publications for computer science researchers. Usually you can first publish your paper in conference proceedings and then submit it to a journal but not the other way around (though, of course, that depends on conference and journal policies).


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...