Tuesday 16 July 2019

google scholar - Searching for specific characters in publication titles


Is there any way to search for articles that include a specific character in their name? For instance, suppose you want to find articles that include $, £ or € in their title. When I have tried to search for such characters in PubMed or Google Scholar, I fail to get any results.




Answer



For Google Scholar I believe it depends on which character you're after - regular letters are fine, but certain special characters (like $, @, and punctuation marks) are stripped from the submitted search query, and won't work. That is, that's the case for the regular Google, and while I haven't found official documentation stating this, as far as I can tell, Google Scholar has the same behavior.


PubMed replaces certain special characters (such as $) with spaces. See this help section.


For more reading, see these related questions on StackOverflow:



  1. How can I use a search engine to search for special characters?

  2. Looking for special characters in Google


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...