Monday 29 April 2019

Publishing a conference version of a journal paper at the same time ? (copyright issues)



This may be a question repeated many times, but I want to know your opinion.


I submitted a journal paper for an algorithm (Computer Science). Fearing that the review process take too long, I decided to submit a short-version conference paper, while the long version is under-review. I received the journal review comments, and re-sent the modifications to the journal. Meanwhile, the conference paper was accepted. But the camera-ready is not sent yet.


The problem is that both papers are about the same idea. There is also some copy-pasted parts in both papers. But:


1) the editor of the journal was not informed about the conference paper (I heard that I should tell the journal about any published papers - but note that the conference paper is not yet published - not even the camera ready is submitted),



2) the organization organizing the conference, is not the same that manage the journal. I have been told that there are conflicting copyrights.


The proposed solutions (that colleagues told me about):


a) submit both as is !


b) submit both (but with change in text).


c) do not submit the conference paper (but I heard this can be harmful)


d) tell the editor now (but honestly, the journal is way more important than the conference).




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...