Saturday 13 April 2019

application - How to properly add "scientific reading" as personal interest in CV?


I'm applying to a Ph.D. program (in the field of robotics) and I have a hard time to fill the personal interests. I initially was going to avoid that section but then I got convinced that it's not a bad idea to have it. But I digress...


One of my hobbies is reading* about science, mostly in mathematics, [astro]physics and science in general. The problem is, I don't know how to write this in a clear, honest and concise fashion. I don't want to simply write "reading" because I don't want to be that generic applicant! Also I want it to be clear that this reading is not related to my professional field. And last but not least, I don't want it to sound fake!




*also watching or listening. Sometimes I also code for fun, generally speaking I fool around the science.



Answer



Just don't.


As an applicant to a scientific PhD program, if you weren't doing a lot of scientific reading, that would just be weird.



Thinking it's something special to be reading scientific literature every day, is a small warning sign in itself.


And the interests section is there to indicate some kind of balanced personality and the existence of a life away from narrow study.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...