Monday 13 November 2017

career path - Will it hurt you to leave a tenure track position (for another) after one year?


I'm a new assistant professor in my first year of my first tenure track position.


For several reasons, I am seriously doubting whether my current position is a good fit and am considering applying to a couple open positions that may provide a better fit. I'm not sure whether the nature of my reasons is relevant but assume




  • My reasons do not involve salary or any personal conflicts (they are more related to the teaching load, the types of classes I'd be teaching, the background of the students I'd be teaching, and the possibility of advising PhD students)





  • I have no two-body problem or moving reasons for seeking a new job (the open positions are relatively nearby)




My question is: are there any serious problems with attempting to change tenure track positions this early?




  • From the perspective of the hiring committee, will this (even with an explanation in the cover letter) raise a red flag that will cripple my candidacy?




  • If I did apply, would my current employer be justified in being upset? Is it generally considered unacceptable to leave a tenure track position this early?





Thanks for any perspectives on this.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...