Sunday 5 November 2017

etiquette - No response from Professor; how should I remind him about writing a recommendation for me?


I'm applying to a BS/MS program and I'm gathering recommendations. I'm an international student from China and I was transferred to my current college last year.


Two weeks ago, I went to see my professor during his office hours to ask if he could write me a recommendation letter. He agreed and told me to email him.


I sent my request a week later and it was just a general email asking for recommendation (without mentioning when I'd visited him).


I still haven't got a response from that professor. It's possible that the professor didn't recognize me in the email, since I sent that only one week after going to his office.


Should I leave him a reminder in a follow-up email? Or should I do so in person?



Answer




I would send an email along these lines (taken from Cindy Au on Quora):



Dear Professor [Professor's name],


The deadline for submitting letter of recommendation for [name of program/ fellowship] is quickly approaching. I would like to inquire if there is still any document I can supply to make your writing easier in addition to what we discussed during office hours 2 weeks ago.


I understand that this is a very hectic time in the school year and thus can't thank you enough for your time and support.


Respectfully yours,


[Your name + ideally a link to some website containing your photo]



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...