Tuesday 7 November 2017

microscopy - How to prevent blobs under the microscope?


My task is to take photographs of fungus spores under a microscope at x100 using oil immersion.


My problem is that I get all these little blobs. How do I prevent the blobs?


So, I have been instructed to first put the spores on the glass slide, then add a teensy drop of water to it (I use a syringe so I have exact control over the droplet) and then put the coverslip on top of that. Then I tap the coverslip down with the eraser-end of a pencil to force the excess water out from under the coverslip. The immersion oil goes on top of that and then I can view the spores and take the photos.



This is what I mean:


enter image description here


All those little blobs aren't supposed to be there. I can't tell what are spores and what aren't, or if these spores have ornaments or not. However, I happen know this spore does have ornaments (rhodotus palmatus).



Answer



At least some of the blobs that you have appear to be air. Seating the coverslip carefully will help to prevent air-bubbles from forming under the coverslip. Lay one edge against the fluid and slowly ease it down.


enter image description here


You mention using an oil immersion lens. It is possible that water has come into contact with your lens. Oil finding its way beneath the coverslip could also introduce refractory blobs as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...