Tuesday 21 November 2017

united kingdom - Postdoc salary negotiation (UK)


I am interested in taking up a postdoctoral position in a UK institution. The appointment details write:



Appointment will be on a Fixed Term Contract for 3 years and with a starting salary in the range of £29,517 to £42,187 p.a. inclusive dependent on postdoctoral experience. It is anticipated that the starting salary will be in the range from £29,517 to £33,740 p.a. inclusive.




I just started a family and I will need ~£36,000 p.a. to break even when calculating living costs in UK (London). Is it reasonable to negotiate for a ~£36,000 p.a. salary? (I know it is somewhat on the high side but not insane by UK standards.) It is reasonable to apply in such a position and explain that I will expect an substantial increase (~10%) in my salary within my first year of employment if I start around the £32-33,000 mark?


I do not want to waste my time or theirs on this matter but clearly my cover letter is not a place to put this concern forward. I also think ill of the idea of e-mailing a potential hiring manager/team lead with queries about a salary raise right off the bat.


The USA-based post-doctoral appointment I currently hold pays ~£40,000 p.a. I do not mean to sound like a money-grubber; I am genuinely interested in the position and I think I will be a great fit for that team but I do not want to endure a ~20% pay-cut.



Answer



You have the same issue that many people do.


The cost of living in London (rent or buying a home) is often double what it is outside of London, yet salaries are about the same in London as elsewhere in the UK.


It is common for professionals (e.g. computer programmers) in their 30s to not be able to afford more than a small room in a shared house if they choose to live in London. Expecting to support a family on any “normal” single salary in London is unreasonable.


If you are willing to spend 2hr each way commuting, then you can get a lot cheaper housing, but your train ticket will often be over £5K a year. But why have a family if you are commuting so much…?


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...