Friday 4 August 2017

publications - Should results of a journal paper always be reproducible?


This question might seem silly at first read. But in my research, first I have done mathematical analysis and simulation and provided the results in section I. Later, in section II, based on Sec. I, I did simulation in which nodes are distributed over 2D plane and some parameter is calculated over the mobile-nodes (parameter is "transmission rate" to be precise).


Now, since every run of simulation will distribute node on a different location (as in a real-world environment where mobile-users can be located anywhere), hence I will get a different result in each simulation run.


How can I present this result in my paper now?



Answer






  1. It is important to run multiple indepemdent replications and statistically analyze the results rather than simply running the simulation once and reporting that result.




  2. It is also important to save the random number seeds that were used so that the simulation results can be replicated.




No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...