Sunday 13 August 2017

microbiology - How to learn biomathematics?


I'm currently an undergraduate math student and researching on the internet I discover that exists an area called "biomathematics". Looks so interesting. They use the graph theory and topology to describe the cells and DNA structure. Was love at first sight, because I really love maths and biology.



I'm reading the book "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" of Keith L. Moore and "Essential Cells Biology" of Bruce Alberts, but I don't know if I'm doing right. If anyone know how to start to learn this science I would really appreciate it.



Answer



MathsBio is quite a large field. It is an interdisciplinary branch having utility in a lot of branches in biology like biophysics, biomedical, genetics and molecular biology. Applied Mathematics is generally used in modelling and understanding biological phenomena where we have to deal with large amount of data, for example the use of graph theory for analysing biochemical networks. Systems biology is an emerging field which uses a lot of mathematics.


You should pick a book depending on the field in which you want to use mathematics, though having knowledge of elementary biology is necessary. I am suggesting some books which cover wide application of mathematics in biology.


Mathematical Biology: I. An Introduction by JD Murray


For systems biology:


Mathematical Modelling in Systems Biology: An Introduction by Brian Ingalls


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...