Monday 7 August 2017

peer review - How much time should you spend on reviewing a paper?



A German colleague once told me, he reviews 4-6 papers per year, and for each, he spends at most 15 mins.


It is no good for him to review a paper. It is better to save the time for writing his own paper.


Personally, I myself recommend all papers falling onto my lap for publication regardless of the quality. The quality of a paper is up to the readers, not the few referees.


On my side, I also notice that for most papers I got to review, I have not really the expertise to judge the 'quality' of the paper. It seems that the editor sent the paper to me just because I had some paper sharing some keywords in common with that paper. I do not think the second referee is more suitable than me if I reject to review the paper. It is quite random!


Post-publication review is the choice for today's communication technology. You review it if you are interested in it.





No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...