Sunday 13 August 2017

computer science - Two simultaneous part time master's degrees while working full time


I hold a BS in Mathematics with a minor in Statistics and I've been out of school for several years. I recently began applying to part time online master's programs in Statistics and Computer Science. I've been accepted to the online MSCS program through Johns Hopkins University and I'm hoping to be accepted to the online MAS (Master of Applied Statistics) through Pennsylvania State University as well. My goal is to earn both degrees, and with expertise in both disciplines become the ultimate statistical programmer!


The catch here is that I don't want to (and can't really afford to) leave my current job to pursue school full time, hence the part time online programs. I could do one degree after the other, but that would be another 8-10 years I'd be in school, all the while working.


It's useful to note that I'm already a statistical programmer. Degrees are helpful, especially if at some point I'd like to transition to being a full-fledged statistician or a more general-purpose programmer. In my mind at least, it offers a level of career flexibility not readily attainable with just a bachelor's or even a single master's.


But my question is this: Is working 40 hours/week and taking two online master's level courses at a time in two different subjects from two different institutions completely insane? My family sure thinks so. Does anyone have experience or input they could share?



Answer



In my first semester as an undergraduate, I tried to take a double load of courses, and was dissuaded by the adviser assigned to me. I tried it anyway and failed one of the courses I had registered. (They let me do a big load in a later semester, with some success.) If I had stayed focused on my registered courses and let the courses I audited slip instead, I would not have that on my record. Also, I might have developed a different attitude toward that university.



Learning when not overachieve, or when not to make the attempt, is a hard lesson for many. Many years later, I am finding that I could have restructured my life, changed certain behaviours, and perhaps led a more efficient or satisfying or productive life. Fortunately, I still have some time to make changes.


In addition to the comment above about the proposed course likely being insane, and to seek help in real life (off the Internet) to pull it off anyway, I recommend a values inventory. The current program (one job, two degree programs) may seem feasible and cool and might nurture some internal aspect of pride; that doesn't mean it is good for you, or in line with how you will want to live your life.


Even if you don't know what you want to be when/if you grow up, checking in with yourself on what is important, and what you value, is a beneficial exercise you should repeat throughout your life. If you can (rationally and not maniacally) convince yourself that this use of time is in line with your current and possible future values, then go for it! It doesn't matter if you are crazy if you are enjoying yourself and not hurting yourself or others, but you may have to explain it to a judge or police officer; be prepared. If you aren't sure, ask for guidance, and avail yourself of the options that work and school might offer.


Either way, good luck to you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...