Friday 25 August 2017

collaboration - How to effectively e-mail a professor I met briefly about collaborative work?


Recently in a conference, I met a professor from an esteemed university and head of a research group I have been following. I told him about my research and he gave me his email address (though I could easily find it over the web, he personally wrote it down for me). He told me to write to him and he will direct me to his post-doc and see how we can collaborate. His research group has some testing facilities I would love to work with.


The following is the email I am aiming to write to him. Any corrections and/or suggestions will be highly appreciated.




Dear Professor XYZ,


Hope you are doing fine. We met at ABC conference, in TTT a couple of days ago. I introduced myself as the PHD student at 123 University and expressed my willingness to work on a collaborative project with your research group (utilizing your practical testbed for DDD project).


First of all, I appreciate the time you spent with me, and the opportunity to introduce myself, my research, and my interest in utilizing your testing facilities. Second, I would like your advice on how I can further proceed to initiate a collaboration between your research facilities and our RRR research group.


I will wait for your reply.


Thanks again,


Kashan




Answer



I always suggest being a bit more succinct, and mentioning (but not delving into!) the technical aspects of your work. How about this:




Dear Professor XYZ,


This is [name]; we met at AAA conference in TTT a couple of days ago. As you may recall, I am working on [xxx] and you suggested that your post-doc could get me started in your testbed for my [yyy] project.


I'm very eager to pursue this. Could you please introduce me to your post-doc? I'd be happy to set up a call or provide any information you might need.


Thanks in advance; I really appreciate the opportunity,


Kashan



No comments:

Post a Comment

evolution - Are there any multicellular forms of life which exist without consuming other forms of life in some manner?

The title is the question. If additional specificity is needed I will add clarification here. Are there any multicellular forms of life whic...